Revisiting Cialdini's 6 Principles of Influence
A great resource over at Online Marketing News: An Illustrated Guide to the Science of Influence & PersuasionIf you’ve never read Robert Cialdini’s Influence, you should run to a book store, buy it, and read it all immediately. Cialdini provides an excellent overview of persuasive principles that drive human behavior that are widely applicable to almost any situation.
The principles of influence are:
These principles have been covered in-depth in many places, but this handy guide goes a bit further and applies them to web marketing. While the author’s applications are high-level, they can be a good introduction to the concepts and get you started about thinking how they might apply to your specific marketing situation.
- Reciprocation: Doing a favor for someone often gets you a favor in return.
- Commitment & Consistency: People hold an ideal of staying consistent with their behavior.
- Social Proof: People look to others when they’re not sure how to act themselves.
- Liking: People do business with others they know, like, and trust.
- Authority: People defer to others in authority when making decisions.
- Scarcity: People don’t like to miss out on something valuable and scarce
via An Illustrated Guide to the Science of Influence & Persuasion | Online Marketing News
Cialdini book is fascinating and immediately actionable, highly recommended.